25 February 2010

Another day, another adventure

This post is slightly gross, so I apologize in advance. I experienced something that I hoped I would not have to, with only like 3 weeks in country: My first true Afghan poop.

No need to adjust your screen, you read that correctly. If you have ever seen video of Afghans, they have this squat that they do. It looks like a cathcer's pose in baseball, but they rest on their calves. It must kill their knees (not that the rest of them is guaranteed to live long anyways). Their bathrooms are missing an American/European/Rest of the World important feature. Something to sit on. How do they go #2? You guessed it. So I am waiting at the Governor's house in my BAV (Big Ass Vehicle) with the rest of the PRT bubbas waiting on a few people talking to the governor, and the afghan food I ate at lunch hits with a vengence. I go to the bathroom in one of the outer buildings of the governor's complex, and I see the afghan toliet, sitting there, mocking me. It is a porcelin goddess of it's own kind. Standing only about an inch off the ground (piping in the floor), its basically a porcelin hole with designated areas to put your feet. Now picture me, with body armor and gun, facing my most serious adversary yet. I leave the rest to your imagination....

That's all for now, ask me sometime about the waste disposal truck at the base...

1 comment:

  1. Your Uncle D had a classmate in China who was the envy of all the foreign students because he could squat over the "facility" with a book in one hand and a cigarette in the other, as relaxed as anyone on a regular "throne". But prepare yourself, world traveller, these things are to be found in France and Italy too. You do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete